Mode Lab is gearing up for an exciting series of computational design training events this Spring. Take a look at their upcoming Rhino and Grasshopper classes!
- Rhino3D Foundations for Industrial Design, May 21-23
Course outline available here.
- Computational Design Immersive, June 4-8
Course outline available here.
- Grasshopper Foundations for Industrial Design, June 11-13
Course outline available here.
Questions? Contact Mode Lab.
Posted on 20 April 2018 | 2:10 pm
Ruta N, Rhino3D Colombia and RhinoFabStudio would like to invite you to join Ricardo Ortiz, Product Specialist Chaos Group - V-Ray - (CDMX Mexico) who will be presenting the new and advanced characteristics of V-Ray.
Date: April 24, 2018
Time: 7:30 a.m.
Place: Ruta N - Sala Múltiple 1 - Medellin, Colombia
To Register: click here
In this presentation, we will be showing leading edge features in rendering within the different 3-D platforms, and for all the different industries. We will go over tips on how to best take advantage of your available hardware, accelerating your times more and more. rendering without sacrificing quality, and overcoming every new challenge in your projects.
To watch a video with information on the new version of V-Ray 3.6 for Rhino click here
Posted on 20 April 2018 | 8:40 am
Grasshopper included with Rhino 6
- Rhino 6 for Windows is shipping. Try it...
- There are many Grasshopper enhancements. Details...
- Check out the new Grasshopper add-ins like VRay, Speckle, and Fologram. Plus many more...
Students, faculty, and schools
- Special educational upgrade prices are available. Click on the Student and faculty tab...
- Educational licenses do NOT expire.
- There are no subscription, maintenance, or support fees.
Former student or faculty?
- Educational licenses do NOT expire.
- Your older Rhino educational license is likely upgradable. Just buy a commercial upgrade. You will need your license key. Find it here...
- Save 20% when you buy a commercial upgrade before 15-May-2018.
Posted on 19 April 2018 | 4:54 pm
As part of the accelerator, startups may receive:
- Equity-free support
- Three months rent-free office space
- Personalized mentorship from AEC industry experts
- Access to the industry's leading-edge technologies
- Global media and marketing spotlight opportunities
- Ongoing support for up to six months after the program completion
- Access to a global community of growth stage founders and mentors
Zero Sixty is a three-month acceleration program focused on design and technology for the AEC industry. Its goal is to help startups build and scale great products by matching them with its people, network, and advanced technologies.
For more information and to apply, visit Zero SixtyZ
Posted on 19 April 2018 | 11:56 am
Location: Vienna, Austria
Dates: 4-6 July 2018
Time: 10:00 - 18:00
Course Fee: Professional EUR 750 (+VAT) Educational EUR 375 (+VAT)
This three-day workshop will focus on methods of setting up structural systems in the parametric environment of Grasshopper. Plugin developer and structural engineer Clemens Preisinger, along with Zeynep Aksoz & Matthew Tam from the expert Karamba team, will guide the participants through the basics of analyzing and interpreting structural models, to optimization processes and how to integrate Karamba3d into C# scripts.
This workshop is for beginner to intermediate users of Karamba, but advanced users are also encouraged to apply. It is open to both professional and academic users.
Karamba is a parametric structural engineering tool which provides accurate analysis of spatial trusses, frames, and shells. Karamba is fully embedded in the parametric design environment of Grasshopper, a plugin for the 3D modeling tool Rhinoceros. This makes it easy to combine parameterized geometric models, finite element calculations and optimization algorithms like Galapagos.
Posted on 19 April 2018 | 1:25 am
Last week, McNeel Europe hosted a Fologram workshop with attendees from all over Europe. Participants worked on how to create holographic environments using Hololenses and Grasshopper.
Thanks to Gwyll, Cam, Nick and all the participants for this awesome mixed reality experience!!!
Posted on 18 April 2018 | 4:19 am
Rese arch, in collaboration with Adrian Krężlik (Parametric Support) has organized three webinars on Urban optimization:
- 17 April 2018 6pm CEST: Pattern Language and Transit Oriented Development
- 18 April 2018 6pm CEST: Optimizing Accessibility
- 19 April 2018 6pm CEST: Optimizing Urban Planning and Landscape Design
Rhinoceros, Grasshopper, Galapagos, Silvereye, Octopus, Lunchbox, MeshEdit, Elk, Galapagos, Shortest Walk, Opossum, Colibri, and Anemone will be used during the webinars.
Posted on 17 April 2018 | 9:00 am
Presenters at Shape to Fabrication 2018 include:
Foster + Partners
Zaha Hadid Architects
3XN architects GXN innovation
Studio Moritz Waldemeyer
Zoe Laughlin / Institute of Making
Walter P Moore
EZCT Architecture & XtreeE
École des Ponts Paristech
Posted on 17 April 2018 | 7:07 am
The first VR/AR for Rhino User Group Meeting took place at Softroom (London, UK) on October 10th 2017.
SimplyRhino UK has been kind enough to write an extensive report. Read it here!
Posted on 16 April 2018 | 8:39 am
Posted on 16 April 2018 | 3:00 am
DesignMorphine's Dynamic Mutations V4.0
Advanced Design Workshop
July 15-22, 2018
Union of Architects in Bulgaria
Sofia, Krakra 11 STR
Dynamic Mutations V4.0 is an international workshop of Advanced Design. The workshop will use AutoDesk Maya, Pixologic ZBrush, McNeel Grasshopper and will explore a range of modeling techniques in a streamlined process. The general workflow will involve modeling actual mechanical objects, mutating these objects, replicating the objects within site, and unifying the replications into a correlated unique architectural machine.
Posted on 16 April 2018 | 1:44 am
10 am EST/3 pm CET
This webinar discusses optimization in Rhino and Grasshopper. By using benchmark results from (mostly single-objective) structural, building energy, and daylighting problems, discover which optimization algorithms to use and when. Learn how Opossum uses a cutting-edge, machine-learning related algorithm to get a head start on other algorithms.
We will see how to structurally optimize a small pavilion with Opossum 1.5. Also, catch a sneak preview of Opossom 2.0, which allows visualization and interactive exploration of machine-learned fitness landscapes.
Opossum 1.5 is free to download. Also, you will have exclusive early access to Opossum 2.0. (Rhino and Grasshopper required.)
Posted on 13 April 2018 | 9:22 am
If you are using Zoo 6, you will want to install this service release.
Zoo 6 Service Release 5 provides:
- Enhanced clustering of Rhino 5 and Rhino 6 licenses.
- Increased license validation reliability.
- Improved support for older, 3rd party Zoo plugins.
- Other stability improvements.
Posted on 12 April 2018 | 11:15 am
The OYSTER chair is the first prototype designed using virtual reality techniques and manufactured through a 3D milling machine, remotely controlled. OYSTER anticipates future scenarios of smart working and features synergy between Arturo Tedeschi's expertise in generative modeling using Rhino and the implementation of Mindesk's Virtual Reality CAD interface.
OYSTER will be introduced at the Fuorisalone Mobile 2018 - Space&Interiors, from April 17 through 21.
Posted on 12 April 2018 | 4:44 am
PRODUCT INNOVATION LOUNGE (Langenargen, Germany) has organized a series of Grasshopper workshops where Industrial and Automotive designers will learn how to create parametric surfaces and patterns, work with lists and data trees, Class-A modeling, polygonal modeling, and much more!
- Grasshopper Einstiegstraining 11-June-2018 bis 13-June-2018 (21 Stunden) 1.150,- €
- Grasshopper Fortgeschrittenentraining 14-June-2018 bis 15-June-2018 (16 Stunden) 800,- €
Posted on 12 April 2018 | 2:17 am
Moshen Mohammadvali from Apranik Academy located in Bangkok is hosting a Rhino and Matrix Jewelry Design Course in Iran and Thailand.
Tehran - Iran
Rhino Level 1: April 22-24
Mortazavi Design Academy
In this comprehensive 3-day class you'll learn to create and edit accurate free-form 3-D NURBS models. This fast-moving class covers most of Rhino's functionality, including the most advanced surfacing commands.
Rhino Level 2: May 2-3
Mortazavi Design Academy
The course explores advanced techniques in modeling to help participants better understand how to apply Rhino’s modeling tools in practical situations.
Bangkok - Thailand
Matrix Level 2: April 16
Increase your skill set by learning advanced uses of Matrix and Rhino tools covered in primary class including Gem tools, Bezel Builder and V-Ray Rendering.
Posted on 11 April 2018 | 6:50 am
The latest V-Ray for Rhino now supports Rhino 6. Some overall improvements have been included to make rendering workflow faster, smoother and more productive.
Posted on 11 April 2018 | 2:46 am
- An active learning environment where the large tutor to student ratio (4:1) allows personalized tutorials and debates.
- The toolset of AA Istanbul includes but is not limited to Rhinoceros, Processing, and Grasshopper, as well as analysis software.
- Access to digital fabrication tools such as 3-axis CNC router, laser-cutter, and 3d-printer.
- Design seminars and lecture series support the key objectives of the programme, disseminating fundamental design techniques and relevant critical thinking methodologies.
- Robotic design and fabrication processes will formulate the physical prototyping phase of the programme.
Posted on 11 April 2018 | 2:21 am
Project development by Edin Šabić, model in Dlubal RFEM, import in Rhinoceros, parametric definition in Grasshopper and structural analysis using Karamba.
Parameters: branch point position and branch angles.
Goals: minimizing deflection and necessary cross section.
Posted on 11 April 2018 | 1:30 am
|Artwork for the Thistle bicycle|
Julie Pedalino, a professional graphic artist from Lenexa, Kansas has found a way to combine two passions, art and bicycles, With Rhino and RhinoCAM, Julie Pedalino combines her art and hardcore machining prowess to create one of a kind bicycles at her studio, Pedalino Bicycles.
RhinoCAM interviewed Julie, discussing this convergence of art, CAD/CAM and CNC technology and some of her most recent 4 Axis custom bike projects.
The design can include customized lugs, decals, and other branding. The artistic graphics are where Julie’s professional graphics design experience shines. Julie merges her professional artistic talent, CAD/CAM and CNC technology to produce beautiful bikes.
Posted on 10 April 2018 | 11:30 am
Each participant will receive a full, one-year subscription to learn the material to understand and solve the 32 assignments in the game.
Course Fee: EUR 45,- (+VAT) for professionals. Free for full-time students and university teachers (proof of status required). Educational seats are limited.
Maximum Number of Participants: 10 participants
Posted on 9 April 2018 | 1:27 am
FlexHopper for Grasshopper Training by Benjamin Felbrich
June 6-8, 2018
10.00h - 18.00h
McNeel Europe S.L.
Roger de Flor, 32-34 bajos
08018 Barcelona (Spain)
McNeel Europe welcomes Benjamin Felbrich, author of FlexHopper and research associate at ICD Stuttgart, to tutor a three-day workshop at our Barcelona offices.
FlexHopper brings particle-based physics simulation in Rhino and Grasshopper to the next level by making use of massively parallel GPU computation. Based on the patented unified particle engine NVIDIA Flex, it offers the simulation rigid/deformable bodies, particles, fluids, phase transitions, massive spring systems, cloth, inflatables and gases and allows for interaction between those material systems.
In this three-day workshop participants acquire an in-depth understanding of FlexHopper. After an introduction to particle-based physics simulation and GPU computation in general, a set of specific architecture-oriented examples covering the full range of FlexHopper’s functionality will be collectively established and explained in detail. This includes the simulation of the material systems as well as custom defined constraints, setting up the simulation environment, tuning the simulation parameters and optimizing the solver for reliable, fast computation.
- Introduction to particle-based physics simulation: What are particles properties, interaction radii, collisions, constraints, etc.?
- First FlexHopper example: Unconstrained particles in collision with the environment.
- Fluid systems: Introduction to material groups and engine parameter tuning for fluid simulation.
- Rigid bodies: Definition of and collision between many rigid bodies.
- Soft body deformation: Controlling softness and compartmentation in a deformable shell.
- Pooling exercise: Rigid and soft bodies swimming in fluid particles.
- Behind the scenes: How does the solver work internally? What makes it different from CPU-based computation? How to tune the solver for speed and reliability?
- Spring systems: Cloths, anchors, and wind.
- Inflatables: Controlling pressure in pneumatic structures.
- Custom constraint systems: Individually defining systems of anchors, springs, and triangles.
- Pooling exercise: Custom defined spring systems, cloth, and inflatables interacting.
- Future perspectives and applications.
- Personal project development.
- Option to automate FlexHopper by scripting with the FlexCLI interface and C#, Python or VB.
Confident familiarity with Grasshopper is recommended. Knowledge of programming languages such as C#, VB or Python is not required, although automating FlexHopper through scripting is a possible option if requested by the participants.
A dedicated AMD or NVIDIA graphics card on your computer is required running one of the following drivers: NVIDIA Geforce Game Ready Driver 372.90 or above AMD Radeon Driver Version 16.9.1 or above.
FlexHopper is free and open source available at:
Course Fee: EUR 795 (+VAT). Full-time students, university teachers (proof of status required) will get a 50% discount. Please note your seat is only confirmed once payment is cleared.
Maximum Number of Participants: 10 participants. If there is no quorum, the course will be canceled 15 days before.
Posted on 5 April 2018 | 2:30 am
Datakit, a leading company in CAD data exchange announced that CrossCad/Plg, its range of CAD import and export plugins for Rhino, is now available with Rhino 6.
These plug-ins add to Rhino a menu that enables importing files in ACIS, CATIA V4, CATIA V5, CATIA V6, 3DEXPERIENCE, CGR, Inventor, JT, Parasolid, PLMXML, ProE / Creo Parametric, Solid Edge and NX formats, or to export models created in Rhino to CATIA V4, CATIA V5, CGR, JT, Parasolid, 3DPDF, SOLIDWORKS or NX files.
Posted on 4 April 2018 | 11:55 pm
Chaos Group now includes V-Ray for Grasshopper in its latest version of V-Ray for Rhino.
Learn how one designer uses V-Ray 3.6 for Rhino to create photorealistic imagery from within Grasshopper. In V-Ray for Grasshopper, Imago Design founder Jan Kokol explains what’s new, and how it changes his workflow.
Why is this important? Before this integration existed, any geometry created in Grasshopper had to be translated to Rhino geometry before it could be rendered inside of Rhino. With V-Ray for Grasshopper, you no longer need to do that. Instead, render Grasshopper geometry directly inside Grasshopper, in full V-Ray quality.
To give V-Ray for Grasshopper a try, download a 30-day free trial of V-Ray for Rhino.
Posted on 4 April 2018 | 2:10 pm
Take a tour through Arthur Mamou-Mani's London Studio.
Get to know the way they work with Rhino and Grasshopper while they design Galaxia, this year's Burning Man Main Temple.
Watch the first video production made by ShapeDiver.
Posted on 4 April 2018 | 9:08 am